22 Nov 2014

The hopeless romantic





As I saw them fallen
Brew an anger inside uncontrollable
A sight, not the first time, to my eyes
But the blood boiled nevertheless
'How vile an act!' my mind screamed
I kept staring at the culprit
My heart filled with despise
Despise for a being so rid of love
And I determined to question him
Question how he could be so loveless..

Looking above at his face, I screamed
"Do you not know love? Is your heart so wooden?"
There came not a reply
"Speak out, you big fellow!
Do you not feel an iota of attachment?"
There prevailed silence
"Why hold back now? Not the first time, is it?
Every year happens this cold act. And you seem not a bit affected."
The leaves rustled a bit now
"See how close they stay to you. 
And what in turn do they get? Separation under the veil of autumn!"
A branch squeaked somewhere
"And now these poor ones?" my hand pointed to the fallen flowers
"Were you burdened by their beauty?
Did you sell them out to the wind and the rain?"
The burning anger in me was expressing itself
Every single word, its play
But not came even an alphabet in reply from the big fellow
And I scorned at him
This was after all, a routine to him
A big old wooden tree that he was
Why then would he care?
And I walked a few steps ahead..

But I stopped and looked up at him again
I needed not a reply from the cruel fellow
But I wanted justice and I walked towards him
Looking above, I raised my leg
Pulling it backwards, I directed all the energy to my feet
And landed a blow on his wooden heart
A blow so solid and strong
Oil would have sprung out had it landed on earth
But on this guy, it had no effect
Or so thought I for a moment
Before happened something unexpected
A reply for all my questions he gave
Not in words, but by that act -
A shower of tears poured down
A shower he had been holding back for long
A shower he had been holding back in his leaves
A shower he was so relieved to have poured out
Intermittent were the tears for a minute
And as they slowly stopped
My feet took a few steps back..

Drenched in his tears, I looked at him..
The blow I had landed had shook him
But his response had shook me, my perspective now altered
And as I looked at him now, I understood
Why he had been silent
Why his heart had become wooden..
I thought for a moment the pain he would face every year
Letting go of the ones he had so long cherished
Be it for the season or be it for the wind
And having to start over all anew
Year after year after year after year
And I closed my eyes
A silent prayer that never should one be faced with such a love affair..
I apologised to him, a terrible blunder on my part
And slowly walked away
Only to turn after some distance
And see the poor guy silently standing there
Rooted by the grave of his loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment