12 Dec 2016

Can I be your O2?

I sharpened my pencil to write this poem
The lead broke and went rolling across the paper
That beautiful mole of yours - Can that go rolling too?
Your mole reminds me of the universe
Galaxies, stars and planets.. Rotations and revolutions..
Does the sun have to rise every morning?
I maintain peace with its routine for a simple reason
My favorite part of every day - Waking up before you, to see you try to wake up
Chuck your bindi. Chuck your mascara
That unruly hair, those un-opening eyes and that uncontrollable yawn
You are a princess all the way from the bed to the washroom.

Yesterday, during my walk, I came across a flock of birds
All pigeons but for a solitary dove
Like that single strand of grey hair on your head
Remember that day I discovered it and you broke down?
I try imagining you old and wrinkled
The affection does not diminish a bit
Reminds me of the stagnating water in our kitchen sink
To hell with all the utensils while you wash them
Why do you hold them so dearly?
To hell with the coffee mug - That beautiful ellipse is mine
Can I gift you a packet of straws instead? But wait!
To hell with the straws too. And also your toothbrush.

I have sharpened my pencil again
The pencil shavings show me an exciting version of your eyelids
Can I reroute the path to my office between your eyelashes and eyebrows? 
I have a confession - I threw away your previous pair of eyeglasses
You did not lose them at the restaurant
But the eyeglasses deserved it, spending more time with you than I do
Kindly hide away your new contact lenses
And your comb and your wristwatch and your slippers, especially your favorite pillow
I have already contacted a buyer to dispose all our furniture
I now need to worry about only one problem
How do I turn a part of myself into oxygen?

1 comment: