4 Dec 2017

A melody of melancholy

A beautiful brown sparrow rests on my balcony wall
It informs me about the weather across Bangalore
I look at the sky with an eagerness for my namesake
But dark gray clouds loom large
A grateful gesture to all travelers about to tear up
As my cup of coffee turns a companion to the puddles below
The sparrow departs, waving goodbye with its wings...
I think about an old, battered story book and its torn pages
About an unused, armless action figure and its owner's childhood
A rusted, punctured bicycle and the neighboring roads
An untouched school uniform and a regularly used school bag
A non-functional FM radio and homeless radio waves
A box of broken plastic crayons and a father's locked-away accounts ledger
A forgotten wedding album and one of its lucky photos framed on the living room wall
A lonely mango tree, inside a gated community, and its regular visits from the slum kids
A childless mother and an uncared for orphan
I think about all these and I wonder
Which is more melancholic - To miss or to be missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment