18 Jul 2014

The funeral

He shook my hands firmly with a big smile on his face. "We will let you know the results in a short time" he said and I shook my head and left the interview room. I never knew then that my first ever interview for a job would be a failure.

As the results were announced, my heart sank. Though I am a pragmatist, I had pinned a lot of hopes on the job and losing it, especially after realizing that the written piece that the interviewer had asked me to write about any particular thing of my own choice had failed to impress the selection panel, hurt me a lot. After all, what is the purpose of all these posts if I am not able to write down a worthy piece when it really matters?

As soon as the results were announced, I walked out of the waiting room which is situated on the terrace of our management building with the intention of deleting this blog. But as I walked towards the elevator, I looked up at the sky and saw its vast expanse. As my agitated mind slowly calmed down, flew a group of birds with the beautiful sky as their backdrop. And I stood mesmerized. Within a minute, my mindset had gone from complete depression to serenity.

And I realized many things.

I did not belong to the group of people who waited in waiting rooms for their interview results. I did not belong to the group of people who shook hands with HR managers with a wide grin on getting placed in their firm. I did not belong to the group of people who wrote codes or put on a sincere customer-friendly act for the mere purpose of meeting the targets/deadlines and I definitely did not belong to the group of people who 'worked'.

I belonged to the group of birds that flew across the bright blue sky. I belonged to the group of puppies that played by the roadside. I belonged to the group of flowers that bloomed every morning. I belonged to the group of people whose souls though formless, was not story-less and I definitely belonged to the group of people who 'lived'.

What a brilliant escapist statement to make after flunking the interview, isn't it?

From the moment I witnessed the beautiful scene on the terrace, my mind has been emphasizing again and again that a job within a cubicle is not meant for me. And I just can't find a way to shut it up.
I know very well that I cant skip the next job offer that presents itself just because of all these ramblings my mind does. I am a son, after all and most importantly a part of this power/prestige based and money crazed society.

But what then to do with all these passionate revelations?
Bury them deep, perhaps.

Is it not the way most of us move forward in our lives burying our passions and building tall monuments of wealth?!
Is it not the way this society is designed - to look down upon any artist and celebrate a bloody damn bureaucrat?!
Why then try to change it?
After all, we are afraid of anything apart from normalcy and conventionality, aren't we?!

No comments:

Post a Comment