31 Oct 2016

Being a super villain

“There are four of us. We can either split ourselves into groups of two ninjas – red team and green team. Or we can have one super villain and the other three can be ninjas who fight against the villain”.
“Let’s play with a super villain. But what powers does the villain have?”
“Dai...He is the super villain. What other power does he need?”

This conversation was a part of the discussion my twelve-year old cousin and his three friends were having, ahead of their game. I was having a great time, overhearing this, from some distance. 

What was I doing?

I was helping another cousin – a nine-year old – ride a bicycle. She did not require much guidance and I felt that she considered my presence an unnecessary nuisance. Because every time a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler passed by, on the street, I grabbed her bicycle and did not let her pedal. The only reason, I guessed, she tolerated me was because her mother had warned her not to ride the bicycle without an adult’s presence and the adult (!) she had found the most jobless and the easiest to convince had been me.

As I stood there, looking at her pedal the bicycle with all her strength, I experienced a sense of pride. I was being a part of her initial steps towards an independent life. 
I imagined her life ten years later and it seemed highly possible that she would grow up to become one of the most beautiful girls in her group. I wondered how she would react if a guy expressed his love to her. I wondered what piece of advice I could give her, if she consulted me then.
What piece of wisdom can any person share about love?

I imagined her life fifteen years into the future and it seemed highly possible that she would drive herself to work. I wondered if on some day, as she was stuck at a traffic signal on her vehicle, she would try to recollect her early bicycle-riding days and how I had played a miniscule role in it. Would she laugh heartily remembering me grabbing her bicycle every time a vehicle passed?

As I was lost in these thoughts, I suddenly heard a high-pitched shout. I turned to see my twelve-year old cousin being punched by his friends. I was shocked and hurried to stop their fight. As I separated them, all the four boys gave me puzzled looks. 
“Why were you fighting?” I asked them, in as authoritative a tone I could put up. “We were not fighting. We were playing a game” my cousin replied, exasperated. I did not know how to respond and smiled sheepishly. 
“Do you want to join the game?” one of my cousin’s friends asked me in an excited tone. “Yeah! He could be the super villain!” my cousin immediately shouted in joy. “Please join us.. Please join us..” they started shouting. I tried to hide my happiness and pretended to agree just out of my goodwill.

“Awesome! You be the super villain. The four of us are ninjas. We will try to defeat you” my cousin explained the entire game and ran away to join his friends who were standing near a gate. A minute later, the four boys held the gate firmly and started shaking it. I was confused. After they stopped shaking the gate, one of them shouted, “Ninja mode full power ding ding”. Then they turned towards me and gave me a threatening look. I realized I had committed a grave mistake. 

A few seconds later, all four boys started running towards me and as they reached me, they screamed “Ninja mode attack ding ding” in unison and they started punching me. I did not have a clue as to what to do. The boys seemed to be punching as hard as possible and my cousin seemed to be extra-excited. I understood that I couldn’t continue taking their punches and screamed the first thing that came to my mind – “Super villain freeze ding ding”. The boys froze like statues. I let out a sigh of relief.

I then turned to notice my nine-year old cousin looking at me from her bicycle. I sensed that she had realized that I was no adult.
I imagined her life five years down the road. I wished, with all my heart, that she would not remember then the sight of me getting thrashed by four twelve-year olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment