20 Mar 2017

Relationships and their plane of existence

"The other day, I was spending time with a special someone, and found myself questioning why our interaction is not more intimate."

My brother shared this quote with me from an article he had read. And he tossed off a piece of advice.
"... it seems always better to relish a companionship on a different plane than the one we wish for. In fact, sometimes, that plane could be much more efficient and less susceptible to the human melodrama that comes along with the other plane of relationships."

"If only my heart was as obedient as I was during my schooling!" I wanted to reply.
At times, I wonder if my heart is on a mission to complicate every relationship that it registers. I wonder if it maintains a tracker, wherein, if it sees a relationship sailing smoothly, it decides to spice things up for itself. I wonder if it simply likes to make itself heavier, just so it could remind me that it always surpasses the brain in my life.

I try to let my brain take the upper hand for a brief period, in the hope that understanding would lessen the impact of feeling.
I try to find meaning in my 'Data Analytics' occupation and plot my most cherished relationships in a graph. 



The plotting of my relationships shows me two things:

  • My visualization skills need considerable improvement
  • My generosity, based on the scores for the levels of intimacy, would make me the favorite of quite a few students if I were to become a teacher
But the graph also makes me realize something else.
The life of every average person consists of a series of peaks and plateaus through his/her timeline.
  • The peak hit with parents followed by a plateau*
  • The peak hit with siblings followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with school friends followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with college friends followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with a romantic patner followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with colleagues followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with a wife/husband followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with sons/daughters followed by a plateau
  • The peak hit with grandchildren followed by a plateau
(*Agreed that every relationship is more than just a peak and a plateau. Such a timeline is presented only for easier understanding)

Through this timeline, one can observe that more often than not, as one relationship hits a plateau, another climbs towards a peak. For instance, when relationships with school friends seem to be following a straight line, the relationships with college friends start reaching a peak. And when the same straight line happens to occur with the college friends, a romantic partner might lead to a new peak.
This shows the constant urge humans express to hit new peaks in their relationships.

Humans, being a social species, their urge to hit new peaks is understandable. But what about the urge to strive for a higher peak in existing relationships? Why the aching to aim for a new high without the contentment for the plateau?

Maybe the most logical step to use the investment of time and efforts in an existing relationship to build upon it and take it to a higher plane? Maybe just the thrill to explore new places instead of settling for the normalcy? Maybe the fear to leave the vacancy in a specific relationship to time/universe/God and instead, try to add the extra burden upon an existing one?

For sometime, I try to imagine a world where people carry with them a graph of their relationships.
How much pain would be spared by suppressing unwanted expectations? How much gratitude would be shared by learning about unexpressed love?
But perhaps, the mysteries need to exist. What would life be without surprises and shocks and pain and unrequited love?

I request my brain to rest and turn towards my heart. It responds with a gleeful smile, starting to get heavier.
Who would this writer be without this heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment