5 Mar 2017

The hero called Jackie Chan

On February 26 2017, as he stood beside the other 'Academy Honorary Award' recipients at the Dolby Theater, dressed in black, bespectacled, with a controlled-yet-expanding smile on his face, I punched my fist in the air. I wanted to scream 'Jackie!' at the top of my voice but I did not want to add to the Monday-morning-chaos building up in my neighboring houses and vented out my jubilation in my head.
I knew I was three months behind in my celebration - Jackie had been honored with the award in November 2016. But seeing Jackie bow humbly to an Oscar-night-applause meant more.

After the emotions settled, I was reminded of Jackie's amazing acceptance speech and how Sylvester Stallone had recorded it with his iPhone. The memory gently birthed another - Stallone's win under the 'Best Supporting Actor' category in the 2016 Golden Globe Awards for his role in Creed
One of my childhood heroes had been recognized last year. Another childhood hero, this year. I wondered if the next year would bring in a recognition for Arnold Schwarzenegger and complete the crowning process of my childhood-hero-trio. 

****

I remember vividly the Sunday mornings and the summer vacation afternoons when I would spread out a mattress and lie down before a on-life-support BPL television. The excitement to watch Jackie thrash the bad guys and save the day is still unparalleled. 
The Tamil dubbing would ensure that Jackie remained a closer-to-home hero. My movie watching experience would reach its peak as Jackie would break into any of the contemporary Tamil movie songs like 'Appidi podu podu..' in the middle of his fights. The love for the Tamil speaking Jackie was so intense that the first time I caught Jackie speaking English, it made me angry that Jackie had betrayed me by playing out to another language speaking audience. 

Thinking about it now, Jackie is an amazing hero to adore in one's childhood. 
In a good majority of his movies, Jackie's opponents would be taller and stronger than him and Jackie would not mind putting out in the open his fear, before a fight. Jackie is one of the few popular action heroes who shows it is not wrong to be scared of a stronger adversary.
Jackie also shows that it is okay to feel shy when approached by a member of the opposite gender. Though I admit that kids should be raised by being taught that gender should never be a barrier for communication, I also feel they should know that it is not wrong to experience shyness. Fear or shyness, after all, are emotions to be overcome, not emotions to be ashamed of.
Jackie, through many of his fights, is also one of the best teachers of resourcefulness. Any location could become his battleground and any object, his weapon. Jackie's creativity in the application of a tool is an important lesson for every kid growing up in these times, when a new gadget is designed for every minor task.
Finally, Jackie, through the bloopers at the end of his movies, shows the importance of mistakes for one's growth and the higher importance of having the courage to admit them. This is another important lesson for every kid growing up in these times, when many parents try to cover up the mistakes of their kids.

****

Jackie's recognition by the Academy triggered the rare union of the child and the film buff in me. 
The joy was unbounded seeing Jackie being a part of the same prestigious community as Satyajit Ray and Akira Kurosawa.
I wishfully think of a Goopy gyne Bagha byne starring Jackie or a Yojimbo starring Jackie.
And that is the power of great artists - They take us on an artistic journey even through the art they never expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment