7 Sept 2014

'Thank you!' - part II

"There is a simplicity in every great thing and a greatness in every simple thing".

I pondered for a moment over the quote above as to why I had typed it. I knew that it was too 'great' a quote to be added to this post but I did not want to delete it and so I let it be.

When I left behind my 'Tumblr' blog to start this, it was because of a few personal reasons. I wanted complete freedom writing whatever I felt and thought, without the scrutiny and averse comments that some of my posts received from a close one. I had started writing because/for her but I realized that every post being posted was controlled by the thought of being read by the close one. And the result - the posts were emotional, touchy, sappy but never true. I had to choose between the close one or writing and I did not have to thankfully choose. The close one became a closed one and I was left with the task of starting this blog, putting behind the older one with all the memories it carried.

When I typed up the first post of this blog - 'Thank you!' - I never had an idea as to what I would follow it up with. There was an urge to write. There was an urge to express. Most importantly, there was an urge to share.

But I never knew what lay waiting to be written/expressed/shared. Everything that followed happened on its own.

But then, why am I digging up all these stuff? 

As I lay on my bed today, completely bored and jobless, I clicked on my 'Blogger' page. And my eyes widened as I saw the number of 'page-views' - a perfect round 1000!

I saw the figure and my heart skipped a beat. I knew that it was a very petty achievement compared to the various incredible feats that people of my age were doing all around me. But one thing that my grandfather taught me in my childhood has stuck with me so long and it was to celebrate any and every significant thing that happened in life, whatever was its magnitude. The only difference between him and this writer filled with vanity is that he was a man who was always happy and expressed it all out whereas most of my emotions occur internally and there are only a handful that are expressed. Amongst the handful is gratitude which my mom taught me as to be the most important quality of a person.

Every successful person begins by thanking his mentor/guru/inspiration and I would be failing miserably if I failed to thank my brother without whom I wouldn't have taken up writing seriously. I thank you, my brother, for every word of appreciation and every word of criticism because every single word in every single one of my posts is a result of those comments.

The next person to thank would be my very dear friend but I guess the gratitude should be accompanied by an apology as well because the poor fellow is forced and pressurized by me to read what I had posted, every time after every post, amidst all his important work. I thank you, my friend, for so patiently bearing up with me and providing your few yet valuable comments as well (The torture is only going to get worse!).

And we come to the 'follower'. Most bloggers, I guess, make it public and let every friend of theirs know about their blog once they start it. But I started 'blogging' just to see if I was capable of writing. So the only two people in my life who knew about my blog were the two people in the above two paras. But then happened the recruitment process of 'Freshdesk' in our college and though I lost the job, I gained a follower. 
It is the duty of every artist to carry on his work for the sake of art and not for the laurels that come and go. I keep telling myself that everyday but still, somewhere deep down, the heart does ache for a bit of recognition and a word of appreciation. And I must honestly say that never have I been appreciated more in my life's entirety than ever since this follower happened. I sincerely thank you, my follower, for that and I also request you to tone down your praises a bit as the regular dose seem to be making me doubt if they are really true as I know that most of it is overrated and your intentions, really good.

Finally and most importantly perhaps, I should thank every single one of you out there who have chanced upon my blog accidentally by clicking the 'Next Blog' button. You, anonymous bloggers, form the majority of my readership (if I could call that). I hope that none of my posts made you regret chancing upon my blog and if my posts had evoked even the tiniest of emotions, I would consider it a bigger achievement than the 'page-view' figure. 

I once heard the very famous author Elizabeth Gilbert explain in a 'TED-talk' the origin of the word 'genius' saying that the term 'genius' had been primarily used by the Romans to describe the 'spirit' that guided a creative person to create a piece of art. According to the Romans, the guiding spirit was behind every success and failure of the creative person and they never appreciated/offended any creative person completely for the work as they knew that the spirit was behind it.  

I am not a believer of many things but I guess, having very high doubts in my creativity myself, I could attribute a lot of credit to this so called 'genius' of a spirit and thank it.

But then, wait. That wouldn't be right.

Most of the credit should go to my mom and very little to the spirit as the spirit never pursued 'English literature' in college nor did it voraciously read books during pregnancy.
So, a very heartfelt thanks to you, my dear mom.

And well..what else remains after all this gratitude?

A tiny-weeny celebration perhaps - internally, of course!!

No comments:

Post a Comment