29 Feb 2016

EMOtionally JInxed!

This happened two weeks back.
All my flatmates were gathered around in the hall and were discussing about a cricket match. For a reason I can't really recollect now, I joined them. In about 5 minutes, the discussion steered from the match to work at office. Each of the guys started complaining about the workload, about the unrealistic deadlines their team leaders were promising to their clients, about the careless mistakes their team mates were committing. When it was my turn, I really had nothing to complain about work. And I admitted the same. Which was reason enough for my flatmates to start a string of jokes attributing my happiness at work to the opposite gender in my team. 
In all the situations I have been made a subject of mockery - which is quite often - one of my strongest observations is that my responses to the mockery only made things worse. And so, I decided to remain silent. 
The jokes kept coming one after the other and at one point, I decided that at least a facial gesture was necessary and I turned towards my flatmates and made a 'sad face'. 
That moment, that very moment as my eyes shrunk and my lips attained the outline of an umbrella, my heart skipped a beat owing to a realization that had popped up in my brain. 
A realization that the moment before my face had become a 'sad face', the image of the WhatsApp 'sad face' emoji had come up in my brain. 
And this realization froze my world, shutting out all the mockery and laughs around me.
Had I brought about an expression on my face based upon an emoji?!
Had my emotions become so weak that they were beginning to mimic emojis for an outlet?!
Wasn't it supposed to happen the other way around?!
My brain couldn't handle the series of thoughts and in panic, it started throwing up images of all my facial expressions trying to examine the severity of the WhatsApp-emoji-mimicry-syndrome.
(Un)Fortunately, only 2 out of all my facial expressions - the 'tongue-sticking out face' and the 'sad face' - had fallen prey to emojis. All the others were safe and sound and original. 
But such an assurance did very little to pull me out of my panic. 
How in technology's name did an emoji become a reference point for a bone and flesh facial expression - my thoughts continued screaming. 
I locked them up after sometime and have held them in imprisonment till now.
I am afraid to acquit them since I fear being revealed the answer to their question. 
An even worse fear is the imagination that once the answer is out, my face would appear so shocked that it would resemble the 'mouth-less' emoji.
So much so for instant socializing :-/ 
So much so for the Oxford Dictionaries' Word of the Year 2015 :-/ :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment