29 Feb 2016

The once-in-4-years Neelakurinji...

I started the day wondering about flowers that bloom once in 4 years. I then remembered about the Neelakurinji flowers that bloom once in 12 years. 
As the garden in my mind started witnessing the blooming of the purplish blue flowers, I remembered that a sister of one of my schoolmates celebrated her birthday today. 
Wasn't she too a sort of Neelakurinji?!
I then pondered over the difficulties that would be faced by such people blooming-once-in-4-years and my thoughts shifted to an article I had read sometime back. 
It seems that during its initial phase, Facebook did not have an option on common years to remind users of a friend's birthday that fell on 29th February.
As a matter of fact, many websites do not provide 29th February as an option for the birth date. 
How strange would it be to face such a problem in a matter as simple as the birth date?!
Setting aside the application forms and online registrations, how does a person born on 29th February decide upon a day to celebrate his/her birthday during the common years?!
There are actually 2 choices - 28th February and 1st March. It is said that people born before 12 PM on the leap day choose 28th February whereas the people born in the latter half of the day choose the 1st of March.

But having said all these, is life so difficult for a leap-day baby?!

Imagine you are in a room full of strangers. You need to introduce yourself and put something forth to the crowd in an interesting manner and sorrily, you are an introvert. In such a situation, don't you think announcing to the room that you are a leap-day baby would suffice?! 
After all, you would be someone who shares his/her birthday with only about 1/1461 of the population.
Similarly, imagine that you are in college as you celebrate your birthday today. By your next (actual) birthday, in 2020, there is a high possibility that you might have found yourself a partner to accompany you through life. By the birthday after that, in 2024, there is again a high possibility that you would have played your part in bringing out a beautiful baby into this world. Thus, with the passage of every birthday, it would seem like literally a new chapter is made to begin.
How many of us can claim of something so marvelous?!

I would like to end the piece with a line from an article by a writer born on 29th February,
My mom always offered me the same consolation, telling me that I'd thank her one day - on the morning when I can truthfully tell the world I'm only 10 instead of 40.
What an amazing gift! 
How many of us get to lead a mature life at an immature age?!

No comments:

Post a Comment