26 Jan 2017

A friend gets married...

She was the most beautiful person in the marriage hall
She also seemed the most anxious
I tried inquiring about it to her garland and her ornaments
But they were too busy posing for the photographs
Oh! The photographs and the photographers!
Did they not know that she liked posing with her head tilted?
And the priest! Why did he have to be the only one singing verse after verse?
I badly wanted to shut his mouth and make my friend sing
Her song would have been a sunflower shining in the moonlight
Her song would have been a young boy's laughter in a military camp
Her song would have been a rabbit running around the marriage hall
But slokas and traditions had to precede talent
An amazing singer had to remain silent as her marriage music played on.

I recall the gifting / photography session
The gifts served as the entry tickets to be a part of the marriage album
What if my friends and I had gone without a gift?
All we had wanted had been to see our princess become a queen
But a gift we had - perhaps a formality, perhaps a happy reminder when dusted years later
Though who were we fooling?
Would she have wanted a better reminder than glancing at us from her wedding stage?
What would have run in her mind during that momentary glance?
The lunches we all shared? The fights we all fought? 
The birthdays we all celebrated? Our favorite spot at our college?
We had often debated as to who in our gang would get married first
And there she was, the smiling winner
A few feet away we all stood, happy, proud and emotional...

I recall the gifting / photography session
It reminded me of my school annual days
Climb up the stage, shake hands with a smile, pose with the prize, climb down the stage
All of a sudden, a 25 member gang rushed on to the stage
Similar to the energetic crowd surrounding the news reporter reporting live from a location
The gang positioned itself around the couple, all smiles
As my friend smiled at them politely and as her husband let out a hearty laugh
I realized that it was the husband's family
I looked at my friend amidst the 25 people and felt my heart becoming heavier
She had always found it difficult to select a dish in the college canteen without the gang's help
And there she was, prepared to serve this new family with joy 
A few feet away I stood, happy, proud and emotional...

I recall the gifting / photography session
My friends and I also climbed up that stage and we also handed over a gift
But we did not want to climb down - Her eyes would not let us
We knew she had so much to share, so much to laugh and cry about
Seated in a circle on the stage, sharing the marriage meal
Our gang could have relived the past once more
But then it hit us - Beside her was standing her new friend
We wanted to share a few tips with him
We did not, knowing it would spoil the fun
Letting the new love blossom, my friends and I stepped down.

No comments:

Post a Comment